Make Your Own Deer Barbecue
Deer barbecue is what we called it in the old days, but venison does have a more palatable ring for some so I use them interchangeably. Venison is a great addition to anyone’s diet and when properly prepared, taste fantastic. Deer hunting is an activity that millions take part in every year but so few eat the deer they harvest. This is a simple recipe that anyone can prepare and one I think you and your whole family will enjoy and hopefully convince more people to fully enjoy the excellent table fare that venison can provide.
There are so many great ways to cook venison and my family and I consume at least two deer every year and as each deer season approaches I inevitably find one or two deer hams left in the freezer. This deer barbecue recipe is so simple that there is no excuse not to prepare those last packages of deer meat from the season before.
Deer Barbecue Ingredients
- 2 to 4 lbs Venison
- Barbecue Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
Deer Barbecue Recipe Instruction
- To cook the venison I like a crock-pot but a large pot on the stove will do fine. Fill your pot half full of water and set on high just to get the water up to temperature before submerging your venison. The venison should be rinsed well then any large pieces of fat and sinew trimmed away. You don’t have to get carried away with the trimming. The fat will give it some flavor and most of the sinew will cook away.
- I leave my ham on the bone while cooking. If needed you can certainly remove it. The only seasoning I use is salt and pepper. You can add any of your favorite seasonings.
- When the ham is trimmed place it into the pot.
- Set your temperature to low or medium and cover.
- Cook at this setting for 10 to 12 hours.
- You can tell when the meat is ready by inserting two forks in the meat and pulling it apart. If the meat easily separates it’s ready.
The Deer Barbecue
Creating the deer barbecue is even easier than preparing the meat. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Remove the meat from the pot and place in a cooking pan. Using two forks shred the meat so that you are left with a pan of shredded venison. Add your favorite barbecue sauce and mix it in well. The amount of sauce depends on the amount of meat as well as personal preference. I try to go a little light here and add some when I build my sandwich. You want to lightly coat all of the meat with barbecue sauce.
You should now have a pan full of shredded venison ready for the oven. This step is not to cook the meat but to heat up the sauce and allow it to penetrate the venison. Cover your pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. I remove the foil the last 10 minutes to allow some of the moisture to escape the meat. This is also a step that can be omitted or adjusted to your personal taste but be careful because if you leave the foil off too long the venison will become very dry.
Enjoy This Easy Made Deer Barbecue Recipe
Now enjoy the fruits of your harvest and complete the circle of the hunt. Grab some buns and build a delicious sandwich, I like mayo and jalapenos on mine, and enjoy with a tall glass of ice tea and some chips. There is no better feeling than to enjoy the game and fish we love to pursue. I have as much fun cooking and enjoying my harvest as I do hunting it. What a great way to keep the outdoor spirit alive and share it with family and friends. It may convince them that fishing and hunting is so much more than the pursuit itself and that they should give it a try. I have had more than one friend say they might have to take up deer hunting after devouring one of these barbecue sandwiches. Try my sweet & sassy coleslaw with or on your deer barbecue sandwich to mix it up. Hope you enjoy.