Wild Turkey Liver Recipe
Cooking Instructions For Wild Turkey Liver Dirty Rice
- Cut up wild turkey livers
- Brown livers in olive oil and butter
- Add fresh garlic, bell pepper, onion, and some Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Wilt the veggies in a pan of butter
- In another pot boil two pork shoulder bones leftover from sausage making,
- Add celery, onion, black pepper, and simmer until you get a nice broth and the meat falls off.
- Add the pork meat to the livers and scoop out any major debre.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Measure the broth. Add all the veggies and meat, bring to a boil, add 1 cup of rice for every 2 cups of broth.
- Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and turn off the heat. Do not touch for 18 minutes.
- Uncover and there it is.
- Cajun food was poor man’s food. But they sure could do it right. Pork liver was the norm. Venison will work too.
- Bon appetit and enjoy this Wild Turkey Liver Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Origins
Dirty rice comes from the plantations in Louisiana. This recipe incorporates wild turkey liver for the dirty rice. When there were many people to feed but little resources to feed them all people added what they had plenty of which was chicken or hog livers from the slaughtered chickens. White rice was abundant in Louisiana and was a staple of poor folks and probably originated as slave cuisine- liver mixed with cajun spices and vegetables created a dish that looked dirty. Hence the name dirty rice.
Check Out Wild Turkey Slab Salad Recipe